Coles-Moultrie Electric Cooperative offers educational opportunities for our members, ranging from safety demonstrations to scholarships for higher learning. Two of the cooperative core principles are commitment to community and education. We strive to always be on the forefront on both of these principles. CMEC’s educational programs ensure that we are educating our members as well as educating future members within our community.
CMEC offers two main scholarships: the Illinois Electric Cooperatives (IEC) Memorial Scholarship Program and the Coles-Moultrie Electric Scholarship.
More information about how to apply for the 2018 scholarships will be available at a later date.
IEC Memorial Scholarship Program
The Illinois Electric Cooperatives (IEC) Memorial Scholarship Program awards ten $2,000 scholarships annually to students entering college to assist them with educational costs. The fund was designed to financially assist deserving students in the “electric cooperative family,” while also providing a means for co-ops and individuals to honor deceased members of the co-op family through memorial gifts.
To Apply, Click Here.
$500.00 CMEC Scholarship
Each year Coles-Moultrie Electric Cooperative searches for outstanding scholastic students who are Cooperative members or under 21 years of age and legal dependents of a Coles-Moultrie Electric Cooperative member to receive the Coles-Moultrie Electric Scholarship.
Six $500 scholarships are awarded each year to outstanding scholastic students. Applicants must be either a Coles-Moultrie Electric Cooperative member or under 21 years of age and a legal dependent of a Coles-Moultrie member. Students are invited to apply for the scholarship beginning in February of each year. The deadline to return the scholarship is April 28, 2017.
- Applicant must be either a Coles-Moultrie Electric Cooperative member or under 21 years of age and a legal dependent of a Coles-Moultrie member.
- Applicant must be enrolled in either a 2 or 4 year degree program at an accredited institution in Illinois.
- Applicant cannot have previously received a Coles-Moultrie Electric Cooperative scholarship.
- Coles-Moultrie Electric Cooperative employees, directors, and any of their dependents are ineligible.
- Total of six (6) $500 scholarships will be awarded. Priority will be given to one applicant who is specializing in Electrical Technology.
- Applications must be received at Coles-Moultrie’s office (104 Dewitt Avenue East, P.O. Box 709, Mattoon, IL 61938) no later than April 28, 2017. Please include a portrait type of picture such as a senior picture.
To Apply, Click Here.
Youth Day (Springfield, IL)
For over 50 years, the electric and telephone cooperatives of Illinois have given tomorrow’s leaders the opportunity to learn from today’s public officials. Each year, nearly 300 outstanding students get an up close and first hand look at democracy in action when they meet their elected representatives during Illinois Electric and Telephone Cooperatives Youth Day. Over the years, thousands of students have learned how government works and why it’s important for every citizen to get involved in it. State senators and representatives have the opportunity to inspire and encourage the leaders of tomorrow during this annual event held in Springfield.
Youth Tour (Washington D.C.)
The “Youth to Washington” tour gives a few lucky students the chance to get out of their houses and into the White House. Even if they don’t bump into the President, they’ll still have a chance to chat with other key Congressional legislators. Students will spend the week visiting historically significant national sites, touring some of our most moving memorials, and browsing the campus of our nation’s capital. During their time in D.C., they will ride a river boat down the Potomac, tour the Royal Embassy of Saudi Arabia, and visit the Supreme Court. And those are just a few of the things we have planned.